When a customer’s check is returned from the bank for non-sufficient funds (NSF), you need to reestablish the balance due on the customer’s account. To do so, follow these steps:
- In Sage 100 ERP, open Accounts Receivable > Main > Cash Receipts Entry
- If you are using batches, click the icon to select the next batch and deposit numbers.
- On the deposit batch window, in the Deposit Amount field, enter the original check amount as a negative number.
- Click Accept. The Cash Receipts Entry window opens.
- Select the customer number, and on the header tab enter the check number of the returned check.
- In the Check Amount field, enter the check amount as a negative number.
- Click the Lines tab.
- Click on the Select Invoice icon to view invoices for payment.
- Select the invoice(s) paid with the NSF check. The amount paid will automatically populate with the negative amount entered earlier..
- The posting balance should be zero.
- Click Accept to save your entry.
- Print and update the Cash Receipts Register and Daily Transaction Register.
This completes our series on clearing up Accounts Receivable balances. If you need more information or assistance with your Sage 100 ERP system (formerly known as Sage ERP MAS 90), contact your Sage Business Partner. If you are in the Northeast Florida area and you need assistance, or if you do not have a Sage Business Partner, Ennis, Pellum and Associates Technology Services Group will be glad to assist you.