Many times users of the MAS 90 Bank Reconciliation Register will come upon an out of balance condition when performing their reconciliation. Here are some steps to help in finding the cause of that condition:
· Verify the Ending Statement Balance has been entered correctly
· In Reconcile Bank, use the Search Icon and search each tab for the out of balance amount
· Verify all transactions on the bank statement have been cleared in Reconcile Bank
o Print the Bank Reconciliation Register (Cleared Documents Only) – Deposits and Adjustments are listed in chronological order, while checks are listed in numerical order
o Print the Bank Recap Report (Cleared Documents Only) – all transactions are printed in chronological order, and the total of each transaction type is listed at the bottom of the report
· Verify that any future entries have not been cleared – print the Bank Recap Report for Cleared Transactions and All Dates
· Verify the Beginning Balance on the Bank Recap Report is correct – the Beginning Balance should be equal to the Ending Balance on the previous month’s Bank Statement (providing, of course, that the Bank Reconciliation balanced in the previous month). The Bank Statement to use to proof this is the last Bank Statement that you reconciled and removed all cleared documents.
· Verify that the Ending Balance on the Bank Recap Report matches the Current Balance in Bank Code Maintenance
· Verify that the totals displayed for your outstanding transactions on both reports are correct
· Verify the Out of Balance in Reconcile Bank matches the Out of Balance on the Bank Reconciliation Register
· Additional steps if none of the above worked
o Check the Daily Transaction Register in the G/L > Main folder to ensure that all A/P transactions have posted to the G/L. Update any outstanding transactions.
o Verify in the G/L Detail Report for the Bank Code Cash Account that all transactions posted through either the CR, CD, or MC source journals; if not, verify that any General Journal entries to the cash account were made via the Transaction Journal Entry task and were posted to the correct Bank Code.
Recently, I’ve had two cases where the Reconcile Bank out of balance displayed 0.00, but the out of balance amount on the Bank Reconciliation Register was different, thus presenting the reconciliation and purge of cleared documents. Here are the steps to resolve this issue:
· NOTE: Always use caution when working with the MAS 90 Utilities. Always make a backup first. If necessary, seek the assistance of a qualified Sage Software business partner, such as Ennis, Pellum & Associates in Jacksonville, Florida (shameless plug!)
· In Version 4.05 and below
o Rebuild the BR1 Key File
o Rebuild Bank Reconciliation Sort Files
· Version 4.10 to 188.8.131.52
o Rebuild the Bank Reconciliation Sort Files
· Version 184.108.40.206 and above – New Feature
o Use the new Recalculate Outstanding Entries Totals Utility to recalculate the totals of all outstanding check, deposit, and adjustment entries that have not been marked clear from the B/R module.
Finally, if you’ve exhausted all of these steps and still encounter an out of balance condition in your bank reconciliation, contact your Sage ERP MAS 90 reseller or Business Partner for assistance. In the Northeast Florida area, Ennis, Pellum & Associates will be glad to assist you.